Household Hazardous Waste Disposal 

MidNEROC - Household Chemical Waste Drop-Off Facility

Hazardous materials must be taken to the MidNEROC Household Chemical Waste Drop-Off Facility located on Hancock Road in Willington. There is no charge for the use of this facility by Willington residents, with proof of residency. Business will be charged based on the material type and quantity. Call (860) 684-3163 to make arrangements

  • The facility is open 9:00am to 2:00pm the fthird Saturday of each month from mid-April to early November. For further information, call them at (860) 684-3163.

How to Prepare Materials:

  • Pack carefully in original containers only, sealed and labeled.
  • Do not mix materials.
  • Place carefully in the car, prevent tipping.
  • Drive carefully. Do not smoke while handling and transporting materials.


  • Up to 10 gallons liquid (1 gallon or less of each material) and 100 pounds dry material.
  • Bring proof of residency.
  • No commercial users.

Accepted Materials

From the House:

  • Drain Cleaners
  • Metal Polish
  • Dry Cleaning Fluids
  • Arts & Crafts Supplies
  • Aerosol Cans with Hazardous Waste Contents
  • Household Batteries
  • Oven Cleaners
  • Photo Chemicals
  • Floor Cleaners
  • Mercury Thermometers

From the Garage:

  • Fire Starters
  • Old Chemistry Kits
  • Transmission Fluid
  • Engine and Radiator Flushes
  • Contaminated Gasoline, Kerosene
  • Waxes & Polishes


From the Workbench:

  • Rust Preventative
  • Wood Preservatives
  • Oil-based Paints
  • Paint Thinners
  • Solvents
  • Wood Strippers
  • Lead-based Paints
  • Degreasers

From the Yard/Garden:

  • Pesticides
  • Herbicides
  • Rodent Killers
  • Muriatic Acid
  • Pesticides or Herbicides with 2, 4, 5-T or Silvex
  • Cesspool Cleaners
  • Fertilizers
  • Insect Sprays
  • Pool Chemicals

Materials Not Accepted

  • Latex Paint
    • Latex paint can be dried out in its can and safely disposed of in the trash or given to someone to use.
  • Car Batteries, Used Motor Oil & Anti-freeze
    • Your town recycles these.  
  • Explosives, Fireworks, Ammunition
    • Contact the Tolland State Police barracks.  
  • Gas Cylinders - Refillable Type
    • Return to the company that distributed them.  
  • Wood Preservative containing Penta Chlorophenol
    • There is no known safe way of disposal.  
    • Store in leak-proof containers out of reach of children.  
  • Water Reactive Materials and Chemicals such as peroxides and metallic sodium
    • Contact your local fire marshal for proper disposal.  
  • Radioactive Materials
    • Contact Connecticut DEP at 424-3372.  
  • Biologically Active Material
    • Usually pathological matter.
    • Contact Conn. DEP Hazardous Waste Division at 424-3372.
  • Medication
    • Usually can be disposed of with trash.
    • Contact Conn. Dept. of Health Services at 566-3186.
  • Unknown Material
    • Contact Conn. DEP Waste Bureau at 424-3366.