Skip Navigation
Willington, Connecticut
Link for Residents

Link for Businesses

Link to Home Page
This table is used for column layout.

Willington Town Seal

View/Pay your Tax Bill
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.  What is Willington’s Mill Rate for the 2015 Grand List Year taxes?
A. The mill rate is $27.73 ($27.73 for  each $1,000 of assessed property value)

Q.  How is the tax (mill) rate established?
A. The Grand Levy is the amount of revenue in the Annual Town Budget, which must be raised by the property tax. The balance required is received from fees, state and federal assistance and miscellaneous revenue. The Grand List is a listing of all taxable properties located within the Town on October 1, of the grand list year. The property tax rate is expressed in mills or thousandths of a dollar. A (mill rate) of 27.73 mills is determined by dividing the Grand Levy by the Grand List.

Q. What is revaluation?
A. State statute requires that all real property be revalued once every five years. The primary purpose of a revaluation is to provide the Town and its taxpayers with a fair and equitable distribution of the tax burden.  The last revaluation was for the 2013 Grand List.

Q. When does my tax bill become delinquent?
A. Taxes must be paid within one month of the due date to avoid penalty interest.  Delinquent taxes are subject to interest at the rate of 1 1/2% per month ($2.00 minimum), or any part thereof, from the original due date of the tax. In addition to the interest penalty, all lien fees on real estate and collection costs on motor vehicle and personal property are the obligation of the taxpayer.

Q. How is property valued?
A. State law requires that properties be valued at their “present and true actual value”, which means fair market value. Real Estate is revalued once every 5 years to reflect changes in market and economic conditions. In Connecticut, you are taxes on 70% of your appraised value.  New construction completed after October 1, is added to the prior Grand List and is prorated from the date a Certificate of Occupancy is issued, or from the date when it is determined that the property is being used for its intended purpose, whichever is earlier. Standard price guides are used in determining the average retail value of your motor vehicles. Owners of taxable personal property are required to annually file a declaration by November 1 with the Assessor’s office of all owned or leased property. Failure to return a completed property declaration will result in the Assessor valuing the property and adding a 25% assessment penalty.

Q. When should I expect my tax bill?
A. Property tax bills are sent out at the end of June of each year. Real Estate and Personal Property tax totaling $100 or more are due in two installments; July and January. Motor Vehicle tax is due in one installment in July. All tax bills are addressed to property owners on the October 1, Grand List, unless the Tax Collector’s office receives specific instructions to send the bill elsewhere. If you sold your real estate and receive a tax bill, return it to the tax office. If you no longer own a motor vehicle that you receive a tax bill for, contact the Assessor at (860) 487-3122. Remember that when you receive your tax bill, nine months of the year covered by the bill have already passed. Never ignore a tax bill.  Taxes will remain due and interest will continue to accumulate until the bill is paid or removed by the assessor. If you fail to receive your tax bill, call the Collector at (860) 487-3111. Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt taxes or interest. You are responsible for obtaining and paying your tax bill on time.

Q. What if I don’t receive a motor vehicle bill?
A. Vehicles registered between October 2, and the following July 31, will appear on a “Supplemental Motor Vehicle List” provided to the Assessor by the Department of Motor Vehicles. The assessed value of each vehicle is prorated based upon the month of registration. If you traded in a vehicle, all taxes must be paid on that vehicle. You will receive a credit on the supplemental bill based on the total taxes billed on the original vehicle. Supplemental Vehicle bills are sent out at the end of December and are due in one installment on January 1.

Q. What if I dispose of a vehicle after October 1st?
A. You may be entitled to a credit or refund, if your vehicle is sold and not replaced, destroyed, stolen or removed from Connecticut and registered in another state. A request for adjustment must be made in the Assessor’s office and written documentation regarding the disposal must be provided. Application for adjustment should be made as soon as the vehicle is disposed, since there is a statutory time limit on motor vehicle adjustments. Failure to apply on time, will result in denial of the pro-ration.

Q. Who do I pay, if I move within Connecticut?
A. Motor vehicle taxes are due to the municipality where you lived on October 1, if you moved by the time you received your tax bill the following July, you must still pay the Town where you resided on October 1. Make sure you notify the Collector’s office of your new address.

Q. What if I sell my real estate?
A. The tax levied during the year of sale is usually prorated by the settlement attorney based on the date of the sale. The original owners pay the taxes due for the portion of the year that they owned the property and the new owner pays the taxes due after the date of the sale. Be sure to notify the Tax Collector’s office of the sale so that we can send out a tax bill to the new owners for the balance of the year.

Q. What is the best way to make payment?
You may pay all taxes in person by coming to the Tax Collector’s office at 40 Old Farms Road during public hours, You may also mail your payments to the office. You must bring or mail the appropriate tax bill stub for the period being paid. We have a payment drop box outside the building for after hour payments. You may also pay by credit card by calling 1-800-272-9829; our jurisdiction code is 1707. You may also pay online at

Q. What if I am delinquent on my real estate taxes?
A. At the end of each fiscal year, real estate liens are filed against all properties on which there is a delinquent real estate property balance. At least 15 days prior to the filing of these liens, a notice of intent to lien is mailed to the Taxpayer. There is a $24.00 charge to release each lien, regardless of the delinquent amount due. At the time of payment, all interest, taxes and fees must be paid before the lien can be released.  

Q. What do I own that is subject to taxes?
A. Three types of property are assessed and subject to taxes: Real Estate, Motor Vehicle and Personal Property. Any land or buildings you own fall under the category of Real Estate. Registered motorized or non-motorized vehicles (such as cars, trucks, motorcycles and trailers) are considered Motor Vehicles for tax purposes. Personal Property is a very general category made up of unregistered motor vehicles, machinery, equipment, furniture and fixtures, either owned or leased by business and industry. Most residential taxpayers are not subject to Personal Property tax.

The fiscal year 2015/2016 budget for the Town of Willington estimates that $4,161,866 will be received from the State of Connecticut for various state financed programs. Without this assistance, your property tax would be 36.95 mills.

FEDEX Ground Package System Inc.
GLK Realty LLC
Uconn Cedar LLC
Connecticut Light & Power
Willington Oaks LLC
Royce Properties LLC
Perryridge Investors LLC
Becker, Lawrence
Deer Park Apts. LLC
C&S Willington Ltd Partnership